By Linda Tancs
In legal parlance, an adhesion contract is one that is so one-sided that one party benefits practically exclusively from it. In commercial relationships, it’s easy to view that as unfair to the party negatively impacted.
In the spiritual realm, though, we benefit greatly from a unilateral contract. It’s a new covenant of grace initiated by God through faith in Christ—a contract of adhesion with innumerable benefits:
- the old passes away and we become like new (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- worry and anxiety are unnecessary emotions (Matthew 6:31-34)
- a life of faith ensues (Galatians 2:20)
- eternal life is obtained (John 3:16)
- the fruits of the Holy Spirit are qualities available to us, like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)
Now there’s a contract worth signing.